July 29, 2020
Choose to see your life as a gift from God and remain grateful even in tough times.
Proverbs 19:23 The fear of the LORD leads to life; then one rests content, untouched by trouble.
· 1.) Will we choose to be grateful even during the tough times, or during life’s challenges and struggles?
· 2.) Or, will we choose to be bitter and angry about the life and circumstances we’ve been given?
· Our ATTITUDES control (or filter) how life’s experiences affect us
2 Corinthians 12:10 (ESV) For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Philippians 4:11b–13 I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
2 Corinthians 11:24-28 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.
· Contentment is a choice we can all LEARN to make, but we do it in God’s strength, NOT our own
John 14:26 (NASB) But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach youall things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.
Romans 8:26 (NLT) And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.
Colossians 3:2 (NLT) Let heavenfill your thoughts. Do not think only about things down here on earth
· Think more about Heaven & less about our circumstances
· Dangerous Ideas
· A little better (job, paycheck, etc.)
· A little bigger (house, car, etc.)
· A little more (respect, authority, etc.)
1 Timothy 6:6-7 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.
· Key Points:
· Contentment is a choice, not a feeling (& it’s our PERSONAL Choice)
· Contentment is based on our perspective (heavenly things -vs- earthly things)
· OUR contentment pleases God (& He will help us find it)
All Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.