October 28, 2020
What kind of a Christ follower do you want to be? A Christ follower on a glory seat or a Christ follower of the cross?
Matthew 7:24-28 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
· As Christ Followers (CFs) we are called upon to pay close attention and seek God’s wisdom concerning what is written in God's Word.
· We need to hear and obey our Savior.
Romans 2:13 For merely listening to the law does not make us right with God. It is obeying the law that makes us right in his sight.
Matthew 20:20-23 Then the mother of James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to Jesus with her sons. She knelt respectfully to ask a favor. 21 “What is your request?” he asked. 23 Jesus told them, “You will indeed drink from my bitter cup. But I have no right to say who will sit on my right or my left. My Father has prepared those places for the ones he has chosen.
Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me
Romans 5:3-5 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us
· This request was not only of the world and the flesh, but from the evil one, it was motivated by PRIDE.
Matthew 20:24 When the ten other disciples heard what James and John had asked, they were indignant.
· The wisdom of the world leads to war. Selfishness will only result in dissension and division. Wisdom from God always leads to peace,
· Humility, Service and yes SufferingAll Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.