November 06, 2019
God's wisdom is eternal
Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
· What difference would it make if God’s people were to consistently walk in the wisdom of God?
Proverbs 2:1-4 My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, 2 turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding— 3 indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, 4 and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure,
· The 3 requirements for receiving God’s wisdom are:
· 1) We have to be open to it
· 2) We have to desire it
· 3) We have to ask for it
James 4:2b You do not have because you do not ask God.
· A.W. Tozer: “To desire revival and at the same time to neglect personal prayer and devotion is to wish one way and walk another.”
Proverbs 2:5-8 then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. 6 For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7 He holds success in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, 8 for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.
· Blessing #1: God’s wisdom gives us a healthy fear and knowledge of God
Ephesians 1:16-17 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
Proverbs 2:9-11 Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path. 10 For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. 11 Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.
· Blessing #2: God’s wisdom gives us the keys to understanding life
Psalm 119:103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
· In our spiritual lives, often what starts as a DISCIPLINE becomes a HABIT and ultimately becomes our DELIGHT!
Proverbs 2:12-15 Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse, 13 who have left the straight paths to walk in dark ways, 14 who delight in doing wrong and rejoice in the perverseness of evil, 15 whose paths are crooked and who are devious in their ways.
· Blessing #3: God’s wisdom will protect us from the ways of evil people
· We don’t hate unbelievers – we love them, share the gospel with them and pray for them
Proverbs 2:16-19 Wisdom will save you also from the adulterous woman, from the wayward woman with her seductive words, 17 who has left the partner of her youth and ignored the covenant she made before God. 18 Surely her house leads down to death and her paths to the spirits of the dead. 19 None who go to her return or attain the paths of life.
· Blessing #4: God’s wisdom will protect us from sexual immorality
1 Corinthians 6:18 (NLT) Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body.
· God’s plan for sexual fulfillment is one man and one woman for life, and only within marriage.
Proverbs 2:20-22 Thus you will walk in the ways of the good and keep to the paths of the righteous. 21 For the upright will live in the land, and the blameless will remain in it; 22 but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful will be torn from it.
· Blessing #5: God’s wisdom will keep us in the place of His blessingsAll Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.