June 24, 2020
Following Jesus Always Pays Off
· How do we Pursue something we Need? During our time tonight we will find how pursuing Christ always pays off.
Luke 18:35-43 As Jesus approached Jericho, I was sitting by the roadside begging. 36 When I heard the crowd going by, I asked what was happening. 37 They told me, "Jesus of Nazareth is passing by." 38 I called out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" 39 Those who led the way rebuked me and told me to be quiet, but I shouted all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!" 40 Jesus stopped and ordered that I be brought to him. When I came near, Jesus asked me, 41 "What do you want me to do for you?" "Lord, I want to see," I replied. 42 Jesus said to me, "Receive your sight; your faith has healed you." 43 Immediately I received my sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God.
· 1. To be in pursuit of Christ involves attentiveness (hearing, asking, recognizing an opportunity)
· Christ Follower (CF) - We must be ready to act when God wants us to Go
· 2. When in Pursuit of Christ we must remain humble
Ephesians 4:1-2 As a prisoner for the Lord, then I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
· CF - We have a responsibility to develop humility in our lives.
· 3. In our Pursuit of Christ we must remine persistent when under attack
Philippians 3:14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
· CF - Persistently Pursue Christ even under attack
Hebrews 12:1-2 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus,
· CF - When we Call for Help from our Lord He hears us
Exodus 22:27 When he cries out to me, I will hear, for I am compassionate.
Mark 10:51 “Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus.”
· Billy Graham: “Commitment means burning all bridges behind you.”
· Are you wearing a cloak that is leaving you in the dark?
Isaiah 61:10 I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness
· 4. When we are in Pursuit of Christ, we can EXPECT amazing things
· TJ’s Grandpa: “Expect, attempt something so big that unless God is in it, it is bound to fail.”
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
· “To forget” in the Bible means to “No longer to being influenced by or affected by”
Psalm 81:10 I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.
· CF - Ask God specifically
· The right pursuit of Christ is a continued pursuit of Christ.
All Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.