July 29, 2020
Nothing is impossible with God!
· Warren Wiersbe: “The main lesson of this miracle is the power of faith to overcome the enemy.”
Mark 9:14-19 When they came to the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and the teachers of the law arguing with them. 15 As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet him. 16 “What are you arguing with them about?” he asked. 17 A man in the crowd answered, “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. 18 Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.” 19 “You unbelieving generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.”
Hebrews 11:6 (NLT) And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.
· Jesus is put off by unbelief, but deeply attracted to those with genuine faith in Him
Mark 9:20-21 So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth. 21 Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?” “From childhood,” he answered.
· Jesus is stronger than any other spiritual force – PERIOD!
Mark 9:22-23 “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.” 23 “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”
Matthew 13:58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
· Jesus responds positively in the presence of genuine faith
Mark 9:24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
· Be honest with God about our unbelief and ask Him to help us to believe
Mark 9:25-29 When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the impure spirit. “You deaf and mute spirit,” he said, “I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.” 26 The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, “He’s dead.” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up. 28 After Jesus had gone indoors, his disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?” 29 He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer.[a]”
· Prayer is an act of faith that brings God’s people into alignment with His purpose and His power
· Faith Builder #1 – Cultivate a lifestyle of prayer
· Faith Builder #2 – Read and study the Word of God daily
Romans 10:17 (NKJV) So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
· Faith Builder #3 – Act on what God shows you in His Word and in prayer
James 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.All Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.