September 16, 2020
The withered Fig tree
Matthew 21:18-22 Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered. 20 When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. "How did the fig tree wither so quickly?" they asked. 21 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
Jeremiah 8:13 “'I will take away their harvest, declares the Lord. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'"
· Christ Follower (CF): Bearing spiritual fruit is pleasing to God
Colossians 1:9-10 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. 10 And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, “
· CF: An authentic walk is pleasing to God
Matthew 7:16-20 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
· William Barclay: “Unless a man’s religion makes himself a better and more useful man, unless it makes his home happier, unless it makes life better and easier for those with whom he is brought into contact, it is not religion at all. No man can claim to be a follower of Jesus Christ and remain entirely unlike the Master whom he claims to love.”
· Faith in Action is Pleasing to God
· CF: Gathering together with other believers is pleasing to God
Hebrews 10:25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another — and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.
· Jesus promises that prayer will give us strength and power
· Jesus promises that prayer will help us accept a situation and use it
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
· Jesus promises that prayer will sustain us, no matter what
Psalm 46:1-2 (NKJV) God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear
· Text YES to 321.574.6970 if you have accepted JesusAll Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.