June 09, 2021
Ephesians 5:1-2 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
· As Christ Followers (CFs) we are to imitate Christ- we are to live a life of love
1 Peter 1:15-16 (NLT) But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy. 16 For the Scriptures say, "You must be holy because I am holy."
· Christianos is a Greek word for Christian which literally means “little Christ,” Christlike
Acts 11:26 (NLT) When he found him, he brought him back to Antioch. Both of them stayed there with the church for a full year, teaching large crowds of people. (It was at Antioch that the believers were first called Christians.)
· One of the biggest obstacles for the church today are people who take on the name of Christian but do not take on the actions.
· This is why so much of world sees the church as hypocrites and don’t have any idea of the character of Jesus-
Ephesians 5:3-4 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4 Nor should there be offensiveness, foolish talk or tasteless joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
Luke 6:45 “A good person brings good out of the treasure of good things in his heart; a bad person brings bad out of his treasure of bad things. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”
· As CFs we are to imitate Christ- we are to imitate Christ through our actions and words
Ephesians 5:5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person — such a man is an idolater — has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
· As CFs we are to imitate Christ- that is the only way to receive our heavenly inheritance
Matthew 7:21 (NLT) “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who ACTUALLY DO THE WILL of my Father in heaven will enter.
Ephesians 5:6-7 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.
· As CFs we are to imitate Christ- we do this by forming relationships with other believers
Proverbs 13:20 “Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.”
Ephesians 5:8-12 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. 11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret.
James 1:26 “If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless.”
Ephesians 5:13-17 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, 14 for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." 15 Be very careful, then, how you live — not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.
· As CFs we are to imitate Christ- we are to trust the will of God, just like Jesus did when He went to the cross for us
All Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.