May 15, 2022
This weekend as we get back to the book of John we will see Jesus fully submitted and committed to the will of His Father. We will learn how when we can wait on God’s perfect timing and allow His Spirit to guide us, we will gain boldness and power in our witness.
John 7:1-5 After this, Jesus went around in Galilee. He did not want to go about in Judea because the Jewish leaders there were looking for a way to kill him. 2 But when the Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, 3 Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Leave Galilee and go to Judea, so that your disciples there may see the works you do. 4 No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” 5 For even his own brothers did not believe in him.
· It is possible to know all about Jesus and still not have a believing faith.
John 7:6-7 Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. 7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil.
Luke 6:22-23 Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. 23 “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.
John 7:8-10 You go to the festival. I am not going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.” 9 After he had said this, he stayed in Galilee. 10 However, after his brothers had left for the festival, he went also, not publicly, but in secret.
· We must wait and move with the will and timing of God; only He knows what is best.
John 7:11-12 Now at the festival the Jewish leaders were watching for Jesus and asking, “Where is he?” 12 Among the crowds there was widespread whispering about him. Some said, “He is a good man.” Others replied, “No, he deceives the people.”
· C.S. Lewis: “Who was (is) Jesus? There are only 3 possible answers- a Lord, or Liar, or Lunatic.”
· Lord- if he is who he says he was, means he is Lord
· Liar- if he wasn’t who he said he was, and knew it, means he is a liar
· Lunatic- if he wasn’t who he said he was, but didn’t know it, means he is a lunatic
· He could not possibly be a liar or a lunatic, therefore Jesus is Lord.
John 7:13 But no one would say anything publicly about him for fear of the leaders.
· William Barclay: “It is not common sense the words of Jesus give us, but uncommon sense. Jesus turned the worlds standards upside down, because into a mad world He brings the supreme sanity of God.”
· We have to care more about what God thinks of us than what the world does.
John 15:18-19 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.”
· Satan doesn’t want us to even think about Jesus and he will do anything he can to discourage and distract you from your relationship with God.
Matthew 16:15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
John 7:14 Not until halfway through the festival did Jesus go up to the temple courts and begin to teach.
· God’s timing is an important expression of His perfect will.
John 7:15 The Jews there were amazed and asked, “How did this man get such learning without having been taught?”
Acts 4:13 (NLT) “The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus.”
· When we share the truth of God with others, it will come from our hearts, not just our heads.
Zechariah 4:6 So he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty
John 7:16-18 Jesus answered, “My teaching is not my own. It comes from the one who sent me. 17 Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. 18 Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.
· Call or text YES to 321.574.6970 if you have chosen to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior.All Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.