January 13, 2021
God's power gives us everything we need to live a godly life
· Standing Firm in God’s Grace:
· 1 Peter – Staying Strong in Suffering (outside threat)
· 2 Peter – Rejecting False Teaching (inside threat)
2 Peter 1:1-2 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours: 2 Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
· Our identity should first be as a servant of Christ
2 Peter 1:3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
· God’s power gives us everything we need to live a godly life
2 Peter 1:4-9 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. 5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
· A Christ-follower grows in godly character, knowledge and fruitfulness
2 Peter 1:10-11 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
· Am I secure in my relationship with God?
2 Peter 1:12-15 So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. 13 I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, 14 because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 15 And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.
John 21:18-19 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”
· We can glorify God in our Life AND Death
2 Peter 1:16-18 For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” 18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.
· Why we can trust the Bible as God’s Word:
· Prophecies fulfilled
· Archeology confirms history, dates and people
· Eye-witnesses at time of writings
· Many early manuscripts
· Unity with 40 authors written over 1500 years
Matthew 17:5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
· Experience alone will not transform us
2 Peter 1:19-21 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
· Danger: Don’t twist scripture by taking it out of context or changing the meaning.
· Scripture has one meaning but many applications
· How can we grow in our knowledge of God?
· Keep a servant mind-set
· Realize we have God’s power to grow our character
· Remind ourselves daily of God’s promises and presence
· Remember this life is temporary
· Trust God’s Word
All Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.