Biblical Truths in Action in a Church Family
Mark Balmer - Sunday, April 28th 2019 - 1 Thessalonians 5:12-14
1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other.
- Leadership is crucial in every area of life including the church
Ephesians 4:11-13 (NLT) Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. 12 Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ. 13 This will continue until we all come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God’s Son that we will be mature in the Lord, measuring up to the full and complete standard of Christ.
- Verse 12 “to respect those who work hard among you”
- 1st the congregation is to RESPECT/HONOR their spiritual leaders
- Verse 12 “who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you”
Hebrews 13:7 Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.
- Remember – Respect - Appreciate your leaders
Hebrews 13:17 Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.
- 2nd the congregation is to obey and submit to their spiritual leaders
Acts 20:28 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.
- Verse 12 “Live in peace with each other”
- 3rd the congregation is to live in peace and unity
- God loves to unite, and Satan loves to divide (dis/unity)
- Pastors – elders - spiritual leaders
- 1) Work hard with excellence; you are working for God
- 2) Focus on character and not charisma
- 3) Love and lead God’s people with humility
- 4) Be a godly example for others to follow
- 5) Encourage, correct, warn and teach the truths of God’s Word
- 6) Remember the church is God’s church: follow HIS lead
Hebrews 3:12 (NLT) See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God…….
- Jesus is moving on – but we decide to take a different path
- Jesus is moving on – but we are standing still
Hebrews 3:12-13 (NLT) See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.
- 1. Christ Followers (CFs) need to be aware of the deceitfulness of sin
- 2. CFs must be connected to others in a small group
Hebrews 10:24-25 (NLT) Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.
Luke 4:16 He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom…..
- 3. CFs need to be in church on a regular basis
1 Thessalonians 5:14 (NLT) Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy. Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care of those who are weak. Be patient with everyone
- Warn CFs who are lazy, idle
- Encourage CFs who are timid
- Take care of the weak CFs
- CFs be patient with everyone
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control……
Romans 2:4 (NLT) Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you?
2 Peter 3:9 (NLT) The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
All Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.