Come Apart or Come Apart Part 3
Mark Balmer - Sunday, June 9th 2019 - Mark 6
- Here are 2 facts that most of the world doesn’t know or doesn’t believe
Jeremiah 10:23 I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.
Psalm 37:23 (NLT) The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.
- Bible: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
- God gave us the Bible so (1) we could know Him personally and so (2) we could know how to life RIGHT.
- The Bible is the ROADMAP of life
- When we choose to disobey God and go our own way life begins to come a-p-a-r-t
- Coming a-p-a-r-t = confusion, lack of peace, conviction, pain, regret and God’s discipline
- Journaling is the daily process / discipline of examining and evaluating my life in written form
- Evaluate Yesterday
Psalms 26:2 Test me, O Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind;
- Evaluate your yesterday: people you met, decisions you made (good and bad), how well you lived like Jesus, did you use your time well, did you acknowledge the Holy Spirit who lives in you 24/7?
- Bible study/meditation
Psalms 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
- God speaks primarily through the written Word – the Bible
Proverbs 8:34 Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching dailyat my doors, waiting at my doorway.
- Say with me – habit, regular, consistent
- KEY: Without God’s revelation (God’s WORD), life is lived by speculation
Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, "It is written: `Man does not live on bread alone, but on every wordthat comes from the mouth of God.'"
- Adrian Rogers: “Only floss the teeth you want to keep”
- There are many different ways to include the Bible in your journaling time.
- 1. We feed ourselves spiritually by reading the Bible
- 2. We feed ourselves spiritually by studying the Bible
Jeremiah 15:16 (NLT) When I discovered your words, I devoured them. They are my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, O Lord God of Heaven’s Armies.
2 Peter 1:12 (NLT) Therefore, I will always remind you about these things—even though you already know them and are standing firm in the truth you have been taught.
- 3. We feed ourselves spiritually by meditating on the Bible
- Meditation means the act of focusing one’s thoughts: to ponder, think on. To read with thoughtfulness, to linger over and reflect on God’s Word
Psalm 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.
Psalms 119:97 Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
Psalms 77:12 I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds.
- Meditation is not just reading but thinking and asking questions. What is God saying to ME through this truth that will change my thinking?
Isaiah 30:21 (NLT) Your own ears willhear him. Right behind you a voice will say, “This is the way you should go,” whether to the right or to the left.
- My ears (personal) WILL hear GOD’s voice, THIS IS the way (God’s way, God’s answer, God’s will for our lives (WOW – what a promise!
Isaiah 26:3 (NKJV) You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you. Because he trusts in You.
- 1) We are in a war – a constant spiritual battle
- 2) We have 3 enemies – our flesh (old sinful nature), the world system, the Devil
- 3) The battlefield is our mind
Romans 8:6 The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;
Proverbs 23:7 (NKJV) For as he thinks in his heart, so is he….
- 4) Satan wants to control our thinking (to think like him, the world and our old sinful nature)
Romans 12:2 (NLT) Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
- God gave us the HIS Word not just for information but transformation.
- Spiritual transformation takes place via the renewal of our minds with Biblical truth
- You are either in the WORD and it is transforming you to be like Jesus
- OR you are in the WORLD and it is squeezing you into Satan’s mold
- Our lives will ONLY change WHEN we change our thinking
- The only thing that can change our thinking is God’s word
John 6:35 Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.
All Bible references are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise noted. NLT = New Living Translation.